The David Gemmell Legend Award shortlist (determined by popular vote) was announced earlier this week and the poll is open for voting – so go vote.
I’ve read and reviewed 3 of the 5 books on the shortlist and I’ve read an earlier book by one of the remaining authors.
- Brent Weeks: The Way of Shadows (review)
- Joe Abercrombie: Last Argument of Kings (review)
- Brandon Sanderson: Hero of Ages (review)
- Juliet Marillier: Heir to the Sevenwaters (I haven’t read her before, but Mrs. Neth Space enjoyed her earlier trilogy)
- Andrzej Sapkowski: Blood of Elves (I enjoyed The Last Wish)
For me the vote was down to Sanderson and Abercrombie, and going by reviews alone, Sanderson should be my choice. But I voted for Abercrombie anyway. Why? Because I like his the FU quality of First Law Trilogy and its ending and I look forward to reading Joe’s reaction to winning. However, I do expect there is a strong possibility of a Polish revolution giving the win to Sapkowski.