Monday, September 14, 2009

Mini Review*: No Dominion by Charlie Huston

Charlie Huston manages to reinvent noir crime fiction, urban fantasy, and vampire fiction with his Joe Pitt stories. No Dominion (US, UK, Canada, Indiebound) is the second book in the series of five (and counting?). While the plot differs, I honestly don’t have anything to add from what I’ve already said in my review of Already Dead (US, UK, Canada, Indiebound). 8/10
Charlie Huston ... takes the prototypical hard-boiled, noir detective template and injects it into a world of vampires. The result is not the Buffy-inspired urban fantasy romp that dominates the fantasy market these days, but a true noir detective tale that happens to star a vampire struggling for independence in clan dominated underworld.

This classic noir story with … a hard-ass, flawed, moralistic rogue vampire proves to be fast-paced, engaging read that I very much enjoyed.

*This is my first mini-review and hopefully it won’t become common. I managed to get way behind on reviews over the past couple of months and I just didn’t have it in me to write a full review for this one – particularly since I felt I would just be trying to re-write what I had already written for Already Dead, when I was quite happy with what I had said in the first place.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...