Monday, May 10, 2010

Good Times for the Arizona SFF Fan

Living in Arizona I can say that we have few SFF events that I consider worth my time to attend. Even though Phoenix is one of the largest cities in the country, it’s a fly-over for most book tours, conventions are small, book fairs short on SFF authors, and there isn’t really a good bookstore that specializes in SFF books to attract events. The Poisoned Pen makes a reasonable effort, but its focus is mystery with only a handful of SFF events in a year. But, for Arizona SFF fans, times are good with a few upcoming events that I know I’ll try to attend.

First up on Wednesday, May 12th at The Poisoned Pen, there will be a
book release party for Sam Sykes, whose debut book, Tome of the Undergates, was just released in the UK by Gollancz and will be released later this fall in the US from Pyr (Book Depository, Powell’s Books, Indiebound). Only the import will be available, but come on out and support Sam – even if he will probably swear at you. I hope to be there.

This weekend starting on Thursday, May 13th and going through Sunday, May 16th will be the local SFF convention,
LepreCon 36. While its focus is on SFF art, there is an impressive list of authors who will be in attendance – George R.R. Martin (Author Guest of Honor, Sam Sykes, Emma Bull (who is the Musical Guest of Honor), Melinda Snodgrass, Michael A. Stackpole and quite a few other authors that are local to the area and/or part of Martin’s Wild Cards team. And with Martin as the Author Guest of Honor, the local members of the Brotherhood Without Banners are planning fun, drinks, and the usual shenanigans. I will be at least some of these events – I’m just waiting on the con to finalize a schedule so I can coordinate with work and family and figure what I can attend.

And finally over Memorial weekend is the
Phoenix Comicon from May 27-30th. This year they have an impressive line-up of the usual suspects for these sorts of events, including Stan Lee, Felicia day, James Marsters, Ray Park, Levar Burton, John Schneider, Wil Weaton, Mike McFarland, and many others. They also have author guests that include John Scalzi, Diana Gabaldon, Michael A. Stackpole, Sam Sykes, and others. I doubt I’ll make it to this one, but it sounds like a good time.

So, get out of the basement, support Arizona SFF events and have a good time!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The same is true for Houston. Almost every decent Sci-Fi and/or gaming convention has died a slow death in Houston, despite it being the 4th largest city in the US. I chalk it up to the opportunity to do things outdoors year round. We have much fewer fanboy mushrooms than our population would suggest.

Neth said...

oh, I don't know about outdoor activity year round in Houston - summers are far too brutal for that (I grew up in south-central Texas, so I'm familiar). And anyway, California is full of great SFF-gaming conventions, and you don't get better weather than there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...