Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Something Completely Different + update

I hope all have had and are having a wonderful holiday break (or at least not a terrible one). It's been quite around here for the usual reasons - family, work, etc. It'll continue to be quite since I've got a fair amount of travel coming and a huge deadline at work, though I do hope to get a few things tied up around here before the year ends. I still owe reviews for Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey (Book Depository, Powell's Books, Indiebound) and Blackdog by K.V. Johansen (Book Depository, Powell's Books, Indiebound). Leviathan Wakes will probably be a mini-review since it's seen so much coverage and I'm a couple months late on it anyway. I also should get up the standard 'Year of ...' post in the next couple of weeks. Anyway, even though I'm quite busy I do hope to get to a more regular blogging schedule over the next month or so.

And now for something completely different....

The week prior to Christmas I was in Cedar City, Utah doing some work on a big landslide that has shut down a state highway for several months. This photo is a nice view we had on a very cold afternoon - note that trees on landslides often aren't exactly vertical.

Cedar Canyon, Utah

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas, Neth - and here's hoping the new year brings lots of blogging. But then that's somewhat selfish of me.

Anyway... to the mulled wine!

Neth said...

ahhh...mulled wine.

Jason Carney said...

Re. the picture: Neat. Are they slanting like that b/c of the landslide?

Neth said...

yep, the ground moved, so the trees moved with them. On other parts of the landslide trees were completely destroyed and in some places they literally point in every direction. It's a big, big mess, but for a geologist, it's very, very cool.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...